Saturday, February 16, 2008

true confessions

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. Thank you for taking my confession. (I have never done this before! Am I doing it right??)

I am an arrogant, picky reader.


I do not love all books, as muck as I'd like to say I do.


I only like books that are compulsively readable.


I am turning away from fiction (gasp!!) and reading more memoir (self-indulgent! trendy!)


I adore People Magazine (lowbrow!)


My son likes movies more than books- he said so himself! (will he also turn out to be a Republican??)


I judge books by their covers. Ugly cover- no read.


I turn my nose up at genre fiction (but what about mysteries/sci-fi/fantasy/romance? what about all those authors just trying to make a living? Sorry!!)


I get totally intimidated and overwhelmed in bookstores knowing that I'll never be able to read everything so I head straight over to the cafe to drown my insecurity in big, fat lattes.


In the last 4 years I have read only contemporary literature (except Gone With the Wind)


I'm in love with Rhett Butler- and my husband doesn't know!


So what do I do now, say 50 rosaries and 10 hail marys or run to the nearest independent bookstore and repent?


What's weighing on your chest? What are you too embarassed to admit in polite/intellectual company? Share your guilty secrets here in the Haggard confessional!

1 comment:

  1. I love Stephen King novels! Yes! There, I said it!!!!!! I've read them all except for The Dark Tower books. I'm kind of eh on them.

    PS. Thanks for inspiring me to take a leap! See you at the gym!

    ReplyDelete