Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Readers Lament and other Discrepancies


The difference between what I want to tell people I read and what I actually want to read.

Books to read vs. books finished vs. lonely, abandoned books divided in 2 by long forgotten bookmarks.

The passionate way I read Tom Robbins at 15 vs. the confused, somewhat annoyed way I read Tom Robbins at 32.

The amount of time there is to read vs. the amount of time there is to slough through the dishes, cram laundry in the washer, make playdough doggies with 3 year-olds, cook something, shop for something to cook, go to work, have sex, consider attending church, meditate, volunteer, drive the car around, etc.

The number of new books published in 2007 (195,000!!!) and the days I have in the year to get depressed and angry that so many other people are already published (365!!!)

The books I've read vs. the books my friends have read vs. the books my husband has read vs. the conversations we have that we filter through the words of different authors in our heads.

4 comments:

  1. "The passionate way I read Tom Robbins at 15 vs. the confused, somewhat annoyed way I read Tom Robbins at 32."--Yes, yes, yes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT is HYSTERICAL!!!!!
    p.s. I love your journal entry...with me and Paz and God is great, too (heh heh) and notice how mommy is first?!
    luv, S

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! You DON'T have to sign in with a password!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you familiar with Nick Hornby's column in The Believer? It's his monthly tally of books bought vs. books read:
    http://www.believermag.com/issues/200802/?read=column_hornby

    ReplyDelete