Friday, May 23, 2008

in case you haven't heard....


......the next big thing on the literal and proverbial tips of everyone's tongues these days is open marriage. Also known as polyamory, not to be confused with polygamy.


This is a true case of having your cake and eating it too.


In the last week I've received press releases about 2 books on the subject- "Open" which is a memoir about a woman's open marriage and "Opening Up" which is more of a how-to guide, offering stragegies for such horribly difficult subjects in a 3 or 4 or 5 way such as time management! (Opening Up looks interesting, but I'm afraid the publicity dpt. missed a really great opportunity with their image. There are a mere 2 hands being held! Where are the others? Isn't that what this is all about??)


In any case, yesterday, amidst all of the editorial buzz about Jenny Block, our very own former Style freelancer having written her memoir about open marriage, I had the opportunity to interview her. It was a brief interview only because it got farrrrrr tooooooooooo interesting for me to contain in the short preview word constraints confined me to. (I will write a longer peice for the end of June after I've had a chance to actually read a few of the books I'm writing about.)

Jenny couldn't have been nicer or well, more open. But as much as I admired her and can't wait to read her book, I am equally disturbed. And this is how it should be. This is why her book is practically a bestseller before its even been published.


I mean.... MARRIAGE yall!!! I happen to have one of those myself! We are coming up (next week!) on that proverbial SEVEN YEAR.....what? Itch? Yeah.


It seems that even reading this book or even thinking these thoughts is opening Pandora's box, which ain't always a bad thing. Hell, maybe I'll give Stan the book for our anniversary. Until next time, with love.



2 comments:

  1. I have to comment on this one! :)

    I think if you can swing it (pun intended...although I know it's not the same thing), more power to ya! I am wayyyyy too jealous and insecure, though.

    I'll totally look into the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the recovering adult child of open marriage parents, I have to put this subject in the category of drugs and alcohol. I agree that consenting adults should be able to do what they want and accept the consequences either way. When they are children though, there is further potential for damage. Swinging is right up there with crack in my opinion. Where do you go after that? In my family's case, it was to divorce court.

    ReplyDelete